- 1 cup of homemade chicken broth
- 4 raw egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of butter
That’s what I have been eating every morning, for the last year and a half and I love it.
Along with the broth I also ate 1 1/2 cups of plain homemade yogurt. The yogurt has been cultured for 24 hours (instead of 8 hours like you would typically make it) so it is very sour. I put 1/3 teaspoon of honey on a spoon and lick the spoon while I’m eating the yogurt. It seemed impossibly sour at first but I became addicted to it very quickly.
This diet I am on is delicious but extremely hard to follow and it just got harder.
For as many things the GAPS Diet has healed in our family and for how much better I have felt, I still have candida (a yeast overgrowth). My GAPS practitioner said it might take years to heal so I have tried to be patient but I don’t want to be on this diet forever and the candida and it’s sugar cravings have gotten the better of me. If I stick to one teaspoon of honey a day then I do okay but every time I start adding the juice and the fruit my cravings get out of control again.
Clearly the candida is winning.
Out of desperation I dropped the juice and the fruit and even the honey all together. Do you know how hard that is? It is hard but I didn’t know what else to do.
Then I talked to a doctor friend of mine and he said that wasn’t going to be good enough.
Apparently when your body doesn’t get any sugars it will turn protein into sugar. I had forgotten I was so talented.
So this means I have to stop eating meat and he said I need more fat because I’m not talented enough to turn fat into anything but a beautiful healthy body. Who wouldn’t sign up for that?? I’ve talked before about the virtues of eat eating more fat but I need more, more.
For 21 days I have to get 70% of my calories from healthy fats and the yeast should finally die off.
I can do anything for 21 days. Especially if it means I don’t have to stay on the GAPS diet for the rest of my life. So here’s my plan…
- I am weighing and measuring and counting grams and calories until I figure this out.
- I’m adding 2 tablespoons of butter to my morning broth instead of one
- I can still eat some yogurt but I have to eat much less and I have to add three tablespoons of sour cream per cup, no honey.
- I have to eat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil every day which I kind of hate. I blend it with carrots and chicken broth and try to get it down that way but I’m still not getting three tablespoons.
- Eating fat is hard! And I’m full all the time. It seems like I’m eating next to nothing and yesterday I figured out I only ate 1000 calories. I don’t think I can eat more than that but maybe I don’t have to.
It’s so strange eating a high carb diet all my life and being preached to that fat is evil only to find out that the carbs are killing us slowly and we need more fat.
I have gone from one nutritional theory to the next, in the last ten years, trying to fix my family’s health problems. I have learned more and more as I’ve gone along and hopefully I have a few more of the missing pieces this time.
I’ll check back in 21 days with my results.
Or if you’re super lucky I’ll post daily updates. 🙂